Monday, September 15, 2008

My Summer Garden



Sometime in the early Spring, I decided to grow a garden in three containers. I had three gardens: salad, salsa, and pizza. (Each "garden" contained the veggies and herbs for each type of cuisine.)

I purchased three large pots at Home Depot along with the soil, seeds, plant markers, and Miracle Grow. I also visited Office Depot and purchased packing peanuts. I had read that packing peanuts placed at the bottom of the pots makes them lighter and easier to move since the entire pot is not filled with soil. Makes sense, right?

One Sunday afternoon I loaded the pots with the peanuts, then soil, then seeds, then a little more soil. I then placed them where they would get the best sun and proceeded to water them. A few days later I went to take a look at my garden only to find that the contents had drastically settled to the bottom of the pots. Turns out that the peanuts were biodegradable and once they got wet, they almost instantly dissolved. Yeah, lesson learned.

Anyway, above are some photos of what was able to grow in such conditions. I had two cucumbers, one of which we ate (and it was very yummy) and a few dozen grape tomatoes (I had one and it was also very yummy). (The yellow flowers above are from the cucumber plants.)

Not sure what I'll plant next time, but I know it won't be packing peanuts. Perhaps I'll try Diet Coke cans. I have LOTS of those!

No comments:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers