Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day Funnies

Just thought I'd share a couple of humorous conversations I have either (1) overheard or (2) been a part of in recent weeks. Before sharing though, let me preface this by saying that I respect your right to your political opinion, even if it is different than my own, and that these stories are not meant to polarize one party against the other. They are intended to make you laugh and even shake your head. Now for the stories:

This one was overheard at the "water cooler" at work: Woman tells man that she is voting for Obama because she "likes his wrists." She "likes the way they meet his hands," and that he reminds her of Abraham Lincoln. Now while I trust there are other reasons that she is voting for him, I hope his wrists were not the deciding factor. That is the equivalent of voting for the Senior class President because you like the way he looks in his letterman jacket. So vain, so irrational, and totally stupid. I would say the same if she were voting for McCain because she liked the way he parted his hair. And if I may also suggest, that part of the conversation should have been reserved for her girlfriends when she's had one martini too many. Seriously!

And the second story involves my mom and a woman she plays trivia with on Thursdays. I had joined them one night a few weeks ago, and like most conversations these days, the topic of the elections came up. The last presidential debate had been held the previous night, so Jane wanted to know my mom's opinions of how the debate went. Fair enough. However.... she prefaced it by saying, "I know you're Republican..." (For the record, let me state that my mom is NOT Republican, nor is she a Democrat. She votes with her head. Period. End of sentence.) So when my mom asked Jane why she thought she was Republican since they had never discussed politics before, Jane's response was "the size of your diamond in your wedding ring." Excuse me? Are you to suggest that only poor people are Democrat and Republicans are rich? What an absurd assessment of people in general.

Seriously folks, the polls just closed here in Georgia, and I hope you were able to do your civic duty without too much hassle. We waited for a little over two hours this morning, but it was worth it. If you happen to be in another time zone where your polls are still open and you haven't voted yet, GET OUT THERE AND VOTE. Happy voting!

No comments:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers