Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Today's Medicine

Last night we spent several hours at Scottish Rite in their Emergency Room. Nathan has been sick for over a week now, but his sudden lack of appetite, wet diapers, and tears caused us (& his doctor) concern. And while he certainly wasn't the sickest child there, he was my sickest child, and that's all that mattered.

And before I go into my story, let me just say that things have changed since I was a sick baby & child at Egleston. Having spent many minutes, hours, days, weeks, months (& maybe even a year or two total) at Egleston, I thought I knew what to expect. Boy was I wrong. Here's the story.

We were welcomed by The Valet (super nice guy by the way), greeted by The Receptionist, inspected by Nurse No. 1, assessed by Nurse No. 2, evaluated by Nurse No. 3, assigned to Nurse No. 4 (who by the way is THE nurse but didn't do a thing), seen by The Doctor, suctioned by Mr. Suction, and visited by The Welcoming Committee (I think that was her name, literally), but guess who we spent the most time with... yep, The Billing Office. Actually, The Billing Office came to us, worked with the computer (both in-room & laptop), and while she was very nice & polite, I really hate that she is the person Peanut spent the most time with. I also hate that The Doctor answered two phone calls (both work-related, but still) while he was talking with us and "fixing" Peanut.

In the end, we at least know he's not dehydrated today, that he either has a bacterial or viral infection that just needs to run its course (which by the way they don't know how long the course is), and that Nathan makes us all liars since he faked "I'm a healthy baby" while in the watchful eyes of all those above-named people. And all of that cost us $75.00.

Smile.

No comments:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers